Thursday, March 3, 2016

Ghostbusters trailer thoughts


 So the big story today is the release of the GHOSTBUSTERS remake trailer.  Obviously, the reaction has been pretty split.  The majority of fans are I think willing to give it a chance.  We're in an era now where you can't hold onto the original as much as you would need to.  You have to enjoy the base material and enjoy the new twists.  This has been relevant for every movie and TV show based on a comic book.  Looking at the response on Facebook, there are still plenty of fans who can't get a grasp on this and don't seem to be ripping apart the trailer but more stating how sad it is making them.  Which in turn is kind of funny.





I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan.  It's probably my favorite movie and from my memory it's the first movie I've ever seen.  My wife is not a fan.  However, she is a big fan of Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig thanks to Bridesmaids.  Thinking about it from that standpoint, this could generally be a movie that we can see together and it would satisfy us both.  However, I don't think there is a large enough female geek market to draw in a large audience to give this movie some outstanding box office numbers.

My personal opinion, I can dig it.  It's not going to be better or anything close to the original but I'm willing to give it a chance.  The updated special effects look really good and I'm open for hearing a new story.  If it sucks, it doesn't take away from how great the original is.  I just hope it has a little bit more of a mature tone than the trailer leads you to believe.  Ghostbusters became a very child friendly property but the movies and early seasons of the cartoon had a good balance of maturity and comedy.

To keep up with the Collect the UNcollected theme, if there are any forms of merchandise from this movie, don't expect them to worth a whole lot.

Let me know what you're thinking on TWITTER and on INSTAGRAM and what the hell, why not do it on FACEBOOK too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment