Saturday, December 14, 2013

CGC Signature Series...pshh

I'm sitting here at the mall Christmas shopping waiting for my girlfriend. I'm looking through the pictures I have of my graded comics and it made me want to talk about something that really grinds my gears.


 

Now this is my copy of The Walking Dead #50 variant that I got at my local comic book store. I got it signed by Robert Kirkman and Erik Larsen at the 2011 NY Comic Con. Notice how it DOES NOT have the gold label at the top. That's because it is not a Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) Signature series...


From what I had originally heard, you have someone from CGC witness the signing. Now what I discovered at this years NY Comic Con is that in order to get your book Signature Series, you have to actually give your book to CGC and have them get it signed for you and then they mail it back to you. 

Now it very much ups the value of your book but that's bullshit. As much as I'm trying to make a buck here I'm very much a fan of everything I'm trying to sell. I have every issue of The Walking Dead from issue #36 on and all the trades prior to that. I have the first 4 hardcovers of Invincible and Volume 1 of Saga. When I meet these creators, I idolize them and am honored to meet them. I get pleasure out of having them sign my books and to have someone else take that away ruins all the pleasure out of the autograph in the first place.

Also, I'm the one who has the proof that it was autographed. I don't trust them to take my stuff and mark it up without me being there to witness it. 

Below are all of my CGC Graded books. I witnessed the creators autograph them with my own two eyes. They're Signature Series in my book.




Wolverine #1 signed by Chris Claremont at the 2012 NYCC. My Dad bought me this book when I was a kid at a comic book show in Goshen, NY. For the longest time it was the most valuable and expensive comic I owned when he bought it for $50. It was in a plastic sleeve and has never once been read. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.






A first printing of Saga #1 signed by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples at the 2012 NYCC. I bought this book on eBay for I THINK around $40. I bought it and got it signed with the intention of flipping it for a profit. I couldn't get into the comic. However, I have read the first volume and love it. Takes a little bit to get on board.

This is my signed copy of Invincible #1. I'm pretty pissed about this one only at an 8.5. Going to be a tough sell. Got it signed by Kirkman at the 2011 NYCC.


This is my copy if Skullkickers #1 signed by Jim Zub and Edwin Huang at the 2012 NYCC. I'm hanging onto this one until that faithful day it becomes a cartoon or something at some point. 


All signed and witnessed by my own two eyes. I don't need a yellow banner to tell me that. 

Ok that's it for now. Back to Christmas shopping. 

Take that all the way to the bank, brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment