Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The DECLINE of Selling Autographed Comic Books

Howdy everyone and thanks for checking in for another edition of Collect the UNcollected.  I hope everyone enjoyed the NYCC update and the con itself if you went.

I learned a lot this year and one thing I'm going to touch on tonight is something that has been building up over the years.

If you follow any comic book creators on Twitter, it's more than likely you have read a tweet from them where they bring up the subject of noticing an autographed comic of theirs on eBay.  It's big time frowned upon.  Comic book creators never like to see someone flip their work for a profit.  They want people to enjoy their work for what it is, not to try and make a quick buck.




With that said, I occasionally try to flip autographed comics for a profit.  If you read my entry where I discuss CDC, you'll be able to read how important these books are to me.  Also, if you look at my last entry where I have my signed HULK #1 from Ed McGuiness and I told him he was one of my favorite creators and that's no bullshit.  I love his work and he is one of my favorite artists of all time. I have thought about selling this book for a little profit but I do feel a little regret.  Now creators themselves hate seeing this and are going out of their way to try and put a stop to it...

If you notice the "K14!" at the end of his signature.  This is to specify exactly when and where this book was signed.  At NYCC 2014.

Also, you can see from my "Guide to the Known Keys" issue of Locke & Key I got signed by Gabriel Rodriguez...

Gabriel did the same thing, adding 2014 to his signature as well as "Best Regards".  On the Locke & Key #1 issue I have that Gabriel signed, he wrote "Lot's of Hugs".  He let me know that he didn't literally mean "lot's of hugs" but just that he was personalizing the signature.  Joe Hill actually did the same thing when he autographed it...


Joe wrote "Locke on"on mine.  I've seen him add personal comments on a lot of issues as well as usually adding the year.  Again, letting people know when he signed this book and where it's coming from when it pops up on eBay.

This also happened when I got Ryan Ottley to sign my Comixology copy of Walking Dead #100 with his variant cover.  He signed his name in BLUE.  Specifically specifying that he hasn't signed any yet in blue.  So if he saw this for sale online, he would know exactly where it came from.


Now this is not always the case but it is becoming more and more common.  So just remember, when getting your book autographed, these creators put their heart and souls into every piece of work and want you to enjoy it for what it is.  If you are going to flip it for a profit, at least keep that in mind and show them some form of respect that you appreciate their work and it's not just all about the money.



Ok that's all for now.  Thanks for stopping by.
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @TheUNcollected
Also, be sure to Like me on FACEBOOK

AND, be sure to click on the Amazon links whenever you're shopping on Amazon.

Signature Series





Take those autographed comics all the way to the bank, brother, with respect...


No comments:

Post a Comment